Saturday, October 13, 2012

Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice and Oppression

 This is something I hear all the time. My husband is 6'6, I am 5'7, my oldest son (11) is 5'4 and my youngest (9) is 4'9.  Constantly people approach my husband and ask, so you must have played ball professionally somewhere. As always my husband tells them High School and College but was injured before signing. Just about everyone will state, well those boys going to make you all rich some day because we are sure they are going to be great ball players. My youngest son, who is very opinionated, would kindly tell them he is not playing sports when he gets older, he is going to be a Veterinarian, Doctor or Chemist. 

Another incident was the summer, my boys were playing soccer. My oldest one can kick a ball and run. Someone mentioned, "Well you know what they say, they can run, jump and kick". I just shook my head.

One last example. Understanding that those working in the Early Childhood Field, it may be hard for Teachers or anyone to feel respected for the profession we choose. Some people are quick to call us babysitters. I have worked in this field for the past 10 years, held positions from Teacher to Director. I am currently a Family Child Care Provider, where I continue work with children of various ages, however, I where many hats, from Director, Teacher, Cook and so forth on my own. Last month, while attending training for annual DSS credit, the ladies looked at me and questioned why I was there. They said they thought FCC Provider were just babysitters and did not have to do the things they do in a Center. I told them yes, I still have to follow procedures if not more on my own. I expained, I am on the CACFP, ABC voucher program, which the Monitor have to monitor me and ensure I have a curriculum in place and so forth. I have menus that gets turned in each month along with attendance records. I have to turn in attendance and so forth with ABC. I have Fire and Sanitation inspection. Most of the difference is the number of children and the mixed age groups. I have CPR, FA and Bloodborne and so forth.

It just makes me upset when people would compare us to babysitters, but to have someone working and gaining education in the same field as you, really upsets me the most. DSS websites, post the expectations for Providers. The ABC voucher program provides and post their expectations as those who would to be enhanced by meeting at a higher level (from C to A) NAEYC accredited or not.
 
 We should not pass judgement on others. Though as media shows, there are a lot of people with height who play ball, attend college, or receive an athletic scholarship to attend college. That is ok, but one should never assume because someone has height that they are atheletic or would become one as they get older. Nor should we assume because of a persons race that they should be runners or what not.
 
 
 Like my youngest son told someone, he does not want to be an athlete, he want to be something else. People need to stop assuming that he tells me. Playing sports is something daddy did and it does not mean I will do the same, he tells us. We want our children to find their own identity and we respect their decisions.

2 comments:

  1. Rhonda-My brother-in-law is 6'6 as well, but, as my sister states there isn't an athletic bone in his body. People ask him all the time where he played basketball at and he doesn't even really like sports or watch them. The irony is my sister is the college athlete in the family and she is only 5'5, so it just goes to show, you can't judge a person by a first glance or assume you know someone before you speak to them. You do FCC for the Army right? I work at a CDC on a military installation and I admire you for doing FCC...I couldn't do it!! There is no way I could do everything a center does as just one person, especially the cooking because I'm awful at it!! We are more than just babysitters and I wish more parents realized that. A parent came up to me the other day and said he thinks we have the hardest job on the island (and he's a police officer!). That made me feel really good and valued to this family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Rhonda I know when I work as an early childhood teacher in the daycare where I work people would tend to look at us as babysitters as if what we are teaching them are not as important as secondary education. I think early childhood teachers are very important and help alot of children become successful in elementary school secondary education. Parents look at us to help teach and discipline their children while they work and it supposed to abe a teacher-parent relationship. It offends me as well because I know and understand the importance of learning in primary grades.

    ReplyDelete