Saturday, September 29, 2012

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions

The only time I get to get out much is when I am running my children back and forth to their football practice and game. This week, my youngest son had a football game. On his team they have a player at 10 years old who weigh 157lbs. Well, one of the parents had commented on his size and said that he should be able to tackle and take down anyone on the other team because of his size.

This parent assumes that because you are a certain size you are the toughest player.


This child, my husband has coached since he was six. He is the most nicest, sensitive and shyest kid we know. He does not like to hurt others and lightly will block the other players on the team while playing great defense. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rhonda,
    A lot of times, people make comments without thinking that it can offend someone. Even if the person they are referring to doesn't hear the comment, that doesn't mean that others who were in earshot were not offended. I especially hate to hear about microaggressions towards children because once again, they are innocent and rely on adults to help them. Instead of pushing them down, they should expect nothing but support from us.

    *Just a note-I would suggest changing your font color or background, as it's very hard to read. I had to highlight the paragraph to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Cidney that these people were probably not thinking they were hurting this boy's feelings when they said this. It is sad because childhood obesity is becoming so prevalent and those that are obese do feel shy and withdrawl at times and probably do not like attention drawn to them. I'm sure for this child to hear this, who is totally innocent, it could hurt his feelings. Children are so vunerable and adults should be more careful with what they say.

    ReplyDelete