Friday, April 5, 2013

Evaluating Impacts on Professional Practice

Describe in detail the consequences you might expect for the children and families with whom you work while you experience specific "–ism(s)" in your own life. Include specific examples either those you have and/or are experiencing or ones you would anticipate.

As I was trying to think of any "isms" in my own life experience, I can't help but to recall when my son was diagnosed with ADHD and OCD. I was Director at the time and I had to try and get my son to and from Therapy appointements and everything. There were several comments made by the Owners and some teachers who felt that my child did not need any help and that there was nothing wrong with him. They felt that because my son had a hard time focusing on homework or activities during homework time with the After School class, is because he was just lazy, he knows what he is doing and control himself with fidgeting in his chair, they would say.  They said parents we're just lazy and just needed to do a better job at parenting and that we were just giving him an excuse. (In the back of my mind, I questioned myself) until we got support and became educated on the matter. 

Little do they know, it was hard for us in the beginning to accept the fact that our child was struggling, regressing and was diagnosed with his condition. Teachers put him in time out many times, because he could not sit still in his chair. He was ridiculed in class as they would pull the chair away and tell him to stand. With math he counts on his fingers and one teacher ridiculed along with other children. Many more things happened but I had to take a stand for him and leave the job and ensure we provided all the help we could to ensure he could succeed in school, not only academically but socially too.

During this time, I would say we experienced ableism. I have to honestly say, there were times, were I was not able to function properly as I was worried about his situation. This was a hard time as we watched our baby not only struggle but hear how people treated him because he was different. He already suffered through anxiety and had a hard time socially, to be ridiculed and not being accepted heart crushing.

Today, I not only speak up for him but for other children and families. Every child and family is an individual and they need to be treated with dignity and respect. We have to ensure we include and accept all for who they are.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment