Friday, November 2, 2012

Competent Communicator

For your blog this week, think of someone (e.g., family member, celebrity, politician, friend, or professor) who demonstrates competent communication within a particular context. What behaviors does this person exhibit that make him or her effective? Would you want to model some of your own communication behaviors after this person? Why or why not?






My childhood dream was to have mentors and role models who would understand and respect my learning style. Although there were obstacles to overcome and stumbling blocks along the way, I always managed to find people who cared. Even when climbing the rough side of the mountains, a helping hand would always reach down for me. In my small hometown of Milton, North Carolina, there was 4-H. Belonging to a 4-H club made a world of difference in my life. Therefore, when I was old enough to make a difference in others lives, I dreamed of a leadership program that would address the needs of young women and connect them to programs and resources beneficial to their total well-being. Thirteen years ago, my dream became a reality, thanks to the Women’s Bureau, US Department of Labor, who provided a small grant to pilot the program; and a group of committed adult volunteers, many of whom are still with us today.

Empowering young women through self-esteem building, creative leadership training and exposure to supportive career, peer and social role models provides us with a large pool of graduates who are now in college.  They voluntarily manage the program with adult supervision; and they support incoming participants by developing peer e-mentoring projects that have been very successful. 88% of graduates go on to institutions of higher learning.
As adults, if we truly listen to our young, we can help them channel their energy in a direction that will be positively rewarding for communities, states, the nation and the world. 

Thank you for your time, and please feel free to e-mail us your questions, suggestions or comments.
Sincerely,
Katherine L. Harrelson, Founder & Advisor    






 From small to large groups, young and old, local to worldwide, my Aunt Katherine is a dynamic speaker. She is the founder and Advisor of Leadership Connections, LLC in Greensboro, North Carolina. 


Communication is key when advocating. She gets together to compile information from a group of members. She presents facts to make valid points.

 

 She speaks among many States to advocate for young women.

 She helps young women overcome many obstacles and help them have a productive future. Those who have graduated from this dynamic program have become Advocators themselves.Unlike myself, my Aunt is not shy to ask for help or speak up for others on a national and political level. I wish I can develop the confidence to do this as this would help. After meeting with BabyNet services and advocating for my Foster Son, many feel I should expand my business or work with them to help other children who may be in need. However, I hold myself back because I am shy.  I have to find a way to overcome this if hope to help children on a higher level.
 

4 comments:

  1. I think it is very encouraging to hear of women being so involved and empowering. I hope to find my own voice one day and not be so shy and be able to stand out amongst a crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhonda,

    After reading about your aunt, reflecting on my personal story, and reading the posts of other colleagues, I realized the impact that competent communicators can have in ourselves as well as in society. Because we are very lucky of having had these people in our lives, we can learn from them and influence other too.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rhonda, Kudos to your Aunt Katherine and you. Having an example to follow puts you at an advantage. Shyness can be frustrating- I used to be profoundly shy. Not until I was forced into positions of leadership did I start to overcome my shyness. I have a feeling that you will overcome the shyness that you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhonda-Your aunt sounds like an amazing women and a great role model to so many women. I admire all that she does because, like you, I can sometimes struggle in taking on roles where I have to communicate in front of others or standing up for other people. It's weird because I am more vocal in my personal life than I am in my professional life and I'm not sure why that is.

    ReplyDelete